Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Discharged (take 2)

We came home yesterday. Yippee! During rounds the docs were uncertain about letting us go, but when I asked what they'd do for us in the hospital and realized it was all things I could do at home, I firmly stated that we wanted to be discharged. Our home set up of bipap machine, oxygen, and pulse oximeter are all we needed to mimic the hospital's care. Thankfully the doctors agreed and let us go on our way.

Basically, the RSV is causing thick mucous congestion in Jaisal's lungs making it even more difficult for him to breathe when he is sleeping. The doctors want Jaisal's oxygenation levels to be above 90 and with the RSV his sleeping oxygen levels were dropping to the low 80s at times. Giving him oxygen while on bipap helps some, but sometimes even that isn't enough and we'd have to wake him up and forcibly get him to cough. The congestion in his lungs hopefully will break up over the next week and we can go back to "regular" respiratory support, but until then we're going to have more sleepless nights monitoring Jaisal's o2 sats.

But we're home and the weather is unseasonably warm so I can't really complain too much. Oh and we are lucky enough to be able to have oxygen delivered at midnight when we realized ours was running low, so that we didn't have to go back to the hospital. Thank you Walgreens Respiratory Care!

No comments: