I was fortunate enough to attend this event this past Saturday, and it was moving on so many levels. First and foremost, I got to finally meet fellow liver mom Noelle in person. In the early weeks and months of Jaisal's biliary atresia diagnosis, I could not have survived those without my friend Shweta (who I called the night before Jaisal's official diagnosis while she was in Hawaii on vacation with her family to help me try to process how our lives had just changed) and Noelle (who I was introduced to through Jaisal's pediatrician). Noelle's son is a few years older than Jaisal and unfortunately for her, lucky for me, a few more years experience living the BA/transplant roller coaster. To me she was an all-knowing, comforting, frank, and funny angel. All via email. Somehow, it wasn't until the luncheon that I finally got to meet her in person. Getting a chance to sit and chat with her seriously made my day!
Another great part of the luncheon involved hearing the stories of other moms. Their experiences, although all totally different from mine, were somehow still the same. These women understood. The highs, the lows, the indescribable feelings associated with taking care of a child with serious medical issues. I had no idea how wonderful it would feel to be in the company of a group of such strong amazing women and moms.
As if all of that wasn't enough, I also got to meet Peanut! The Bears fan in me was definitely hoping he'd be there, but I wasn't sure my wishful thinking would be enough. When I learned that he'd been chatting with people and taking pictures during the cocktail hour, I was a bit crestfallen thinking I'd missed my opportunity to see him. Right after we were seated for lunch, however, he walked through the tables, looked right at me and waved. I was starstruck. It only got better when a group of us accosted him (and John Tait) for photos while we were waiting for our turn at the buffet.
There was one downside to meeting a professional football player. As I filled up my plate at the buffet, Peanut got in line behind me. I saw him take one little piece of chicken, so I joked with him that he better not get less food than me. His response, there's no way. Well Mr. Tillman, you were wrong. Your dainty little half-filled plate did not compare to my full plate with dessert squeezed on top. I drowned my sorrows of learning that I eat more than a professional football player by having an extra mimosa and proceeding to eat everything on my plate.
Joking aside, I was really really impressed by Charles Tillman. I could tell based on the women who got up to speak that his foundation has really helped a lot of families and children. I've seen Peanut on sports shows before and he's a funny, laid back guy, but through this experience I also saw what a genuine person he is. It was obvious that he was personally touched by the families and kids that he and his wife meet. His efforts and message were truly heartfelt and it made the entire event feel that much more special.
Thank you to Charles and Jackie Tillman and the Cornerstone Foundation for hosting such a fabulous event!
p.s. Peanut said the Bears are going to be better than they were last year. I sincerely hope he is right.



2 comments:
Somehow these pictures cause me question whether you have a future in the NFL. Sorry, Krupa. Better turn in your playbook.
Ben
what an awesome thing to have a luncheon for the mom's like this. so cool you got to go. that peanut guy is on his game.
Post a Comment