Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Sick

A few weeks ago, Kirk and I came down with something. We thought it was a cold but by the end of the week, we were both dead. This was at the same time that the news media peaked in their coverage of the flu epidemic striking America and particularly its large cities. As I was saying to everyone, we were statistics.

I am very proud to say that between the combo of the homebound illness prevention team (pictured below) and my parents who swooped in to take Jaisal out of our self-imposed quarantine, Jaisal managed to avoid getting sick. Woo hoo!

 (Our friends the face mask, hand soap, hand sanitizer, and Clorox/Lysol wipes.)

It's pretty amazing how restricted breathing/contact can stem the spread of illness. I even taught all my co-workers that while they should cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, they should not use their hands and instead should use their arm. At least then, they don't immediately spread the germs onto everything they touch.

Thankfully we're recovered, but getting sick definitely takes on a whole new meaning these days when we're so concerned about not getting Jaisal sick and affecting his labs.

No comments: