Thursday, January 3, 2013

Christmas Prep

This was kind of Jaisal's first Christmas. His true first Christmas, he was only 4 months old and the whole Christmas season was a bit rushed since we got out of the hospital 2 days before the holiday (due to Jaisal's first episode of cholangitis).

Last year - well we were celebrating the best gift ever, but from a subpar location.

The plan was for this year to be different. Things got off to a rocky start when we missed our weekend after Christmas tree-cutting time due to a hospitalization, but Jaisal did not let that phase him. Little man was all about the festive process.

First stop, getting the tree up and lights on.  Once the tree was up, Jaisal immediately understood that the tree needed ornaments. His first attempt was to use a cookie cutter.


But of course this is not the natural order of things. We need lights!


Little man loved decorating the tree. He thought it was so much fun to hang ornaments. He also managed to break only one.


Jaisal's favorite stuffed animal at the moment is a zebra, so we got him a zebra ornament.


It was great to have the whole fam together to decorate the tree - after the Bears game of course.



Next step after the tree, making Christmas cookies. I love cooking and baking but I really hadn't done much of either since about 2008 when I started working at the law firm. This year I planned to take advantage of having a more relaxed work schedule; naturally that meant making cookies and icing from scratch. 

Once the dough was ready, I brought Jaisal over to help. He loved rolling out the dough and his technique wasn't all that shabby.

He loved cutting the cookies.




He loved decorating.  First with his fingers...


 ...and then using a slightly more advanced technique.



Of course he loved eating the cookies. He also realizes that he can be involved with what is going on in the kitchen and frequently pushes a chair in to be a part of the action. I decided to encourage the present love of cooking by enrolling him in a toddler cooking class. Hopefully by age 5 he can be cooking dinners for us all. :)

No comments: