Monday, December 9, 2013

Medical Update

We've had a few appointments over the past few weeks with some of Jaisal's specialists. First up, the cardiologist. After transplant, Jaisal had a few small heart issues that we were monitoring. Everyone felt pretty confident they were the result of stress from the transplant and this appointment proved that we were right. Woo hoo!

Little man enjoying playing with the kid size face masks.


Our excitement over cardio clinic was a bit tempered the next day when we got a call to say the secondary review of Jaisal's echocardiogram showed some dilation in another part of his heart. It's nothing serious right now and likely a result of his elevated blood pressure post transplant, but it does mean that we have to get follow ups every 6 months. I've rationalized my disappointment by saying that getting an echo is at least better than having to get labs.

Next up was liver clinic. I went into this with high expectations that we'd be off one of the immune suppressants and with that would also go an antibiotic and likely a probiotic. Why could I have these high expectations? I just knew that his labs would be great. Okay well technically going into clinic I did know labs were great because we got them drawn a week earlier for another reason, but I knew they'd be perfect. It still feels a bit weird for things to be okay (and it's not that I am without pretty heightened levels of anxiety in the weeks leading up to a doctor's appointment), but life is getting a normal. Knock on wood.

After a very thorough discussion with the doctor, Jaisal doesn't get to stop taking his cellcept. We are reducing the amount of his prograf so that he will be less immune suppressed, but the doctors wanted to be cautious because of his rejection a 14 months ago, so we'll be on the cellcept for at least another 6 months. The big news - we don't have to come back to clinic until his 3 year transplantiversary. That still seems surreal and maybe we'll pop in to clinic 6 months from now so that we can wrap up this whole medication issue.

Jaisal entertained himself at clinic by taking his blood pressure with various size cuffs. This is the only way the large adult cuff would fit him.


Our little guy is growing - mostly taller and not at all wider. Here are some stats:

Height: 39.5 inches (67th percentile)
Weight: 31.97 lbs (42nd percentile)
Clothes: 4T for length, but 4T pants can't stay up without some assistance.
Shoes: 10

No comments: