Thursday, May 21, 2015

She's got such a big

Brain!

We've got weekly weight checks to make sure little miss is growing. Our goal is for her to gain an ounce a day. Well Riya gained 9 oz in 8 days. She's 6 lbs 3 oz now. They also measure her head circumference to ensure brain growth. The doctor measured her head twice because it had grown so much between visits. (I forget the actual measurements.) Yay for Ms. Smarty Pants putting all her development stuff together and jumping growth curves for head circumference!

Riya continues to exceed all of our expectations. We were told not to expect her to be able to handle all her feeds by nursing until 37 weeks, and she's been nannying that since a few days after coming home at 35 weeks. We were also told that she likely would need to use a nipple shield to nurse until around her due date and she's slowly transitioning away from that now at just over 36 weeks.

Let's hope she figures out how to consolidate sleep and pooping early too since the at maximum every 3 hour diaper change and feeding is getting exhausting. I haven't slept longer than a 4-hour stretch since I was admitted to the hospital on March 24 and serious fatigue is definitely starting to settle in. I was trying to make origami ninja stars for Jaisal yesterday and seriously struggled to follow the last set of assembly instructions. Jaisal took pity on my poor slow brain and said papa could finish. That was motivation enough for me to figure it out. I couldn't be trumped by Kirk in making ninja stars! Pride > mental fatigue.

No comments: