Sunday, May 3, 2015

Time is flying by

Riya continues to impress everyone. When I got to the hospital Saturday morning, her NG tube was out. I guess she sounded really congested the night before so out it came. She's an all oral feeder now, before she's even 34 weeks, which is when they said we'd really start trying a few oral feeds.

It's all insanely exciting, but it's creating some mayhem trying to prep for her arrival. The weekend attending in the NICU told us to expect discharge this week. Then she realized that Riya wouldn't even be 35 weeks yet and can't get discharged that early. The whole team commented on how well she's doing and how her progress keeps making them all forget how young/premature she really is. We feel so fortunate that she is doing so well and her quick arrival home means a massive donation to the Salvation Army as we clear out drawers and storage space to fit this tiny peanut into our home.

I think realistically Riya could be discharged anywhere from May 10-May 13. She still needs a hearing test (the one they did earlier this week doesn't count since she wasn't 34 weeks old yet - another case of mistaken age), another brain ultrasound, and an eye exam. The eye exam cannot be performed before May 12, so I've told the doctors that I don't want to get discharged and then have to schlep my preemie back to an outpatient clinic a day later. The weekend attending agreed, so we'll see what the new doctor on rotation (who also is the head of the neonatal unit) says on Monday.

Pretty soon we'll be a family of four with this little one at home!!

P.s. Riya continues to gain weight; she's now 5 lbs 2 oz. She also had two good breast feeding sessions. I can't say enough what a rock star she is.

No comments: