Friday, May 1, 2015

5-1 on 5-1-15

Little chunkers crossed the 5 lb threshold today, weighing in at 5 lbs. 1 oz. This means she has officially outgrown preemie clothes! Her latest weight gain is actually phenomenal news. She is managing to gain weight while being in an open crib and feeding by bottle.  This is all unexpected, but I guess that's what our little Riya does, keep us surprised and on our toes. I'll need to remember that for years to come.

These last few days feel like pretty solid progress towards Riya coming home. While we were initially told that the best we could expect would be for Riya to go home at 37 weeks gestational age (about 8 weeks after she was born), we're now thinking one of our early night nurses may have been a better judge. That nurse said she thought Riya would be home for Mother's Day. While a little over a week from now may be ambitious, it's clear that Riya's NICU days are numbered. It's really exciting to think about being home as a family, but also kind of frightening. Not from a care perspective, we've got that covered, but from actually managing in our space.

I missed the whole third trimester of nesting time and, honestly, we didn't know where we were going to nest. We've been looking to move to a bigger place, but the housing market in Chicago is insane. We've put in offers on 4 homes and lost each time. I think we're opting out of the market for now, but that means we need to readjust our place to fit a 4th person (an ambitious goal if you've seen our place). So now on top of hospital visits, pumping 8 times a day, and normal life stuff like playing with Jaisal, working, and eating (thank you to all the wonderful people who've brought us food), we're also trying to go through every nook and cranny of our place to reorganize our stuff. I am fairly confident that once Riya is home and Jaisal is at school, I will happily nap each time she does. I'm exhausted just thinking of what we need to do and the limited time we have to accomplish it all.

BUT whether it's done or not, we'll shortly be home as a family of 4 (plus Denali who will not be thrilled with the addition of one more person to deprive her of attention). I cannot wait!

Pictures of Riya in her NB clothes to follow later. 

1 comment:

Jenn said...

She's beautiful! So exciting to read of all the progress she has made. :-)