Monday, March 5, 2012

Home, again

We were discharged from the hospital on Saturday evening. No growth in the culture and no other fevers. Jaisal is a happy, healthy boy and we are thrilled.

Our last night and day in the hospital also were much better than the first two days and one night. Friday around 7 pm, we finally were moved to our room on the 6th floor. It felt so good to be in familiar surroundings (although it's been nearly 3 months since we stayed on the 6th floor and there were a lot of new faces). We know the drill there, are fairly self sufficient, and the nurses know and trust us. It just makes for such an easier hospital stay. It also was fun for the nurses to see Jaisal after so long. They were completely blown away by how much bigger he is and how great he looks. The warm reception definitely made my day.

Now remains the open question as to whether we have to worry about Jaisal's elevated enzymes or just chalk them up to being his new normal. If it's the latter, it will take me a while to adjust since I've been such a number watcher (in terms of Jaisal's labs) for so long. Of course the important thing is that Sir Oliver is happy and healthy and that Jaisal gets to be a normal little boy. I'm not sure when we have labs next or another clinic appointment, but I think I'd be fine with not having to deal with anything liver related until next week.

I think Jaisal would agree with that assessment too. His IV had to be replaced Saturday morning which wasn't a fun process and once we got home, Jaisal slept in on Sunday until 7 am. He never sleeps that late and we were thrilled to actually wake up of our own volition before him for once. I think the hospital wears him down just as much as it wears us down. We took Jaisal to a local toy store later on Sunday to get him a treat for being such an awesome little man.


Although he loved his new toy, I think he just enjoyed the ability to be outdoors (even if it was pretty cold) and having freedom of movement.


No comments: