Friday, March 2, 2012

Jinxing Myself

I've decided that I am a BIG jinx. Remember all those posts where I said I love Children's because it's always a one and done poke for Jaisal's labs. That ended yesterday. He was dehydrated from being NPO for the biopsy and then threw up, so little man turned into veritable pin cushion while the nurses tried to place an IV and tried to get labs throughout the day.

I also was talking to a friend before we knew the biopsy results and said - well if we get admitted it won't be a big deal. Jaisal won't be sick. The meds will be administered over an hour once a day and then we can play in the playrooms. All assuming that we'd be on "our" floor.

Well, we were admitted but not for the biopsy but because Jaisal was kind of sick. (He's doing very well right now by the way. No fevers after that one round.) And we aren't on our floor. We're in a crappy little curtained off room in the surgical observation unit. There are no rooms available on 6. So, not only are we in a crappy room, but we also are in the central most room in the unit. Across from the nurses' station and the door. Meaning it's pretty much as high traffic an area as we can be in. The isolation rooms in the unit? Already occupied. The end units? Occupied. AND even now on the next day, we are being told we can't be moved to another space within the unit that is less trafficky (even though we can see such rooms that are unoccupied). I sometimes don't get it. On one hand the liver doctors are telling us to avoid group activities and areas during these first 3 months post-transplant, but when we're in the hospital, where there is tons of traffic and sick people, there is no extra effort to keep us away from the crowds.

Doctors won't round for another few hours, but I am hoping we can talk them into discharging us today. Despite what the anesthesiologists said yesterday, Dr. Google and I had a quick chat this morning and it turns out that one of the meds they used during the biopsy yesterday (and one I am pretty sure Jaisal has not had before) can cause all of the symptoms Jaisal had. We'll see what happens. All I know is that I am not predicting or celebrating anything so that I can't jinx it.

1 comment:

tangie said...

So sorry about all this, Krupa... You are such an awesome mom and advocate for Jaisal!! Praying you get out of there today!!