Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday Jaisal!

We had a small celebration with family and close friends at our place for Jaisal's first birthday. Since Jaisal is such a picky eater, I thought I would make his birthday cake out of flavors that he loves, mango and banana. In my opinion, the cake turned out great, but this picture shows the closest that Jaisal ever got to the cake.


Jaisal already has more toys than he can play with so we decided to have people bring contributions for a time capsule that Jaisal will open on his 18th birthday. We didn't set any ground rules for what could go into the time capsule and that was kind of dumb on our part because people bought wrapped gifts. Why are wrapped gifts such a big deal? Because we didn't feel right opening them and now we have to wait 17 years to know what people gave Jaisal. How did I not foresee this problem??? Hopefully Jaisal will enjoy the idea, but I know for sure that Kirk and I will anxiously be looking forward to Jaisal's 18th birthday and seeing what people gave Jaisal on his 1st birthday.

In case you're wondering, my contribution to the time capsule was a Northwestern sweatshirt that I bought my freshmen year of college. Included with the sweatshirt is a note that says although I'll be proud of almost anything he'll be doing when he's 18, I might be a little bit more excited if he is headed to my alma mater. I figure I'll be indicating my bias towards Northwestern all through Jaisal's life, so if he does read this post someday I won't have ruined too big of a surprise by saying what I put in the time capsule.

No comments: