Friday, September 23, 2011

One Potential Form of Leverage Lost

I'm pretty sure that if I was able to be Jaisal's liver donor, I would use it as a form of leverage over him at some point in life. Nothing too guilt inducing, but I figured as a parent I would at least get that right somewhere along the line. Unfortunately, my plan has been foiled. I got the call this morning that although the surgeons could potentially use me as a donor, my anatomy was just not quite right for Jaisal. We knew that this was a possibility and that up to 40% of living donors are excluded for this reason, but it still sucked to hear.

Kirk will be evaluated next Thursday. I've already made him nervous about the MRI. I am sure he will fare better with that process than I did. I'm also sure that he's a better parent than me and that if he is a match, he won't use his donor status as leverage with Jaisal in the future. Please cross your fingers (and toes) that Kirk's eval goes smoothly next week and that he is a match for Jaisal!

1 comment:

cfb_jason said...

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully Kirk will be a match. Kirk, don't be a wuss about the MRI, but also don't forget your not allowed to drink beer prior even if it makes you less scared...!