Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss

Before Jaisal I knew kids sometime got sick. But I didn't really know. It was theoretical and over there, not something I truly processed. Now I know too much. It's not just about liver disease. I know about so many illnesses that afflict children and their families. I feel too personally what each of those families experiences when they hear the diagnosis and how it changes everything.

While I kind of hate that childhood illness became part of our world, I know the experience and knowledge makes me a better person, more aware, more sympathetic, more emphatic, more compassionate. I've tried to be reach out and be available to new families embarking on their medical journey.  I hope that I am able to provide some solace as to how you can survive those dark days of diagnosis and treatment. Tell them that the stress, anger and fear can be managed. Give them confidence to be advocates for their child or children with medical professionals. Offer an ear for listening, a shoulder to cry on, and friendship. Most importantly, to give them hope that this is possible:

Saying "cheese" 16 months post-transplant.

Cracking himself up nearly 30 months post BA diagnosis.

 Giving kisses to the camera at 32 months old; Jaisal's closer to being 3 years old than 2!

No comments: