Thursday, January 5, 2012

The PICU (Part Deux)

I've definitely been down on the PICU, but in the last few days a few amazing things have happened that help me to understand how people can work here day in and day out.

A week or so ago, a little girl came into the PICU and had to be placed on life support. She had some sort of respiratory ailment that had gone haywire. Totally healthy her whole life and now on life support. It was bad. The first few days docs were working on her constantly. Her family was visibly stressed and relatives flew in from out of the country. I hated walking by her room. Then yesterday her protective isolation was removed and her head was propped up. Today she's interacting with her parents! It is so amazing to see the change. I had to restrain myself from hugging her parents, who I've only spoken to once.

One of the other families staying at the Kohl's House has a 6-week old son waiting for a heart transplant. During his wait he's battled a staph infection and semi-persistent tachycardia. Today, he got his heart! When I talked to his mom, her son was already off bypass, the heart was beating on its own, and they were closing him up. I am so relieved and thrilled for their family. I know they have a long journey ahead, but what a tremendous hurdle for all of them to have crossed!

I like these types of days.

2 comments:

Rishi said...

Love you guys. So glad to hear that Jaisal is almost home. Keep it up little man!

Seet said...

Remarkable stories of such strength and progress!! Like Jaisal himself. It's so nice to continue hearing the good news! Sincerely the Sathia Clan