Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Impact of words

We had a really good day today.  Riya gained 50 grams and now weighs 3 lbs 12 oz. Her isolette is set to the lowest possible temperature and is maintaining her temp well. In fact she might even be a little too warm.  Hopefully she'll be in an open crib in the next week or so.

Rounds are short and sweet right now. Thankfully there isn't much to talk about.  Riya's feeds were increased to 34 ml every 3 hours. I pointed out her slightly elevated heart rate and we're checking and changing a few things to see how she does. It was really great that the doctors heard me and are taking mine and Kirk concerns seriously.  Just the doctor's tone of voice and willingness to discuss the topic with me made me feel better about the care my little girl is getting.

Our nurse today was also great.  Beyond just being caring, she just brightened my whole day with a few things she said. The best was when she said how big Riya is and how easy it is to forget that she's only 31w 2d gestational age.  I guess there are plenty of 33 weekers that are the same size.  I've been worrying a lot lately about gut issues that can arise with preemies. While stuff can pop up in the next few weeks, I'm hopeful her tolerating feeds and gaining weight well is a sign that none of the really bad gut issues will pop up. Another feel good statement was when she was slightly impressed at the amount of breast milk I had in the fridge.  It certainly makes the drudgery of pumping every 3 hours around the clock a bit more bearable. Even though I'd clearly do anything for this tiny little bundle of cuteness, pumping is not my favorite. :)

No comments: