Friday, April 24, 2015

"Chunky" Monkey

Our little preemie is getting chunky! Just shy of 4 weeks after she was born, little miss Riya weighs 4 lbs 10 oz!!! That's more than 1.5 lbs of weight gain in less than a month. It's such a relief to have her doing so well.

She continues to breathe with no episodes. If I'm at the hospital for a feeding and she's awake (the latter being a problem for me), she'll usually latch a little at the breast and get in a few gulps of milk. She makes this face after a sip that would make you think the experience or the taste is horrible, but then she'll go right back in for more. It's pretty amusing to see. Kirk finally got to see her nursing attempts on Saturday night which was a fun experience for us all to share. By the way she always seems to be awake for feeds when Kirk is around. I'm claiming that it's because I provide a calming influence for her that allows her to rest, not because she only wants to see Kirk.

And the big news is....Riya drank 20 ml of milk from a bottle last night with no episodes! I can't believe it. I'm a little bummed that I missed her first oral feeding, but so impressed at what she did. This next week will be really interesting to see what she shows signs of wanting and what she's able to tolerate. She's moving towards putting together the pieces so that she can come home. Eek! That's such an exciting thought!

No comments: