Ok, we got some clarifications about Kirk. I was actually able to get Jaisal's surgeon on the phone after a lot of phone calls. Kirk is not completely ruled out as Jaisal's donor at this point. Kirk has a vascular issue similar to me, but his anatomy is not as problematic for Jaisal. Kirk also may have some fat on his liver, which could rule him out as the donor. They can't be sure whether there is fat or not without doing a biopsy. We'll find out on Monday (hopefully) when Kirk is scheduled to undergo his biopsy.
I also learned that even if Kirk is a match, we likely won't be able to get a surgery date until November. With living donor transplants, the head of surgery at both NMH and CMH have to be present. I guess both of those doctors have a lot of out of town commitments coming up, which will delay our ability to get into an operating room.
But, we have some clarity, and now are back to crossing our fingers that Kirk can be Jaisal's donor.
No comments:
Post a Comment