We got the call today that Kirk may not be a match for Jaisal. He has a few minor issues that may make his liver not ideal for Jaisal. I can't really explain any better than that because we really haven't gotten a better answer than that. Clearly it's frustrating that neither of us may be a good match for Jaisal, but honestly it's far more frustrating trying to get answers from people at the hospitals. In the last two days Kirk and I have spent hours on the phone, first trying to get someone, anyone, to call us back and give us an update about where Kirk's evaluation stood and then today trying to get any sort of guidance as to whether Kirk is really ruled out or not. The problem is that the decisions are made by the doctors, but you can never talk to a doctor. You play this crazy game of telephone with a bunch of middle people and most of the information is lost in the process (if it was even conveyed to begin with). All of this results in - you guessed it - FRUSTRATION!
Since this whole process began, Kirk and I have wondered what happens to people with major or chronic illnesses that can't be advocates for themselves or their children because of language, employment, education, or other barriers? I can't even begin to imagine the heartache and frustration they feel dealing with medical professionals and insurance. And I say all this truly believing that people we deal with at CMH are really great and one million times better than the folks at NMH.
Okay venting done. I intend to self medicate tonight by hugging and squeezing my little man, playing with the pup, and probably having a beer or two. We're also hoping to spend a lot of time outdoors this weekend enjoying the fabulous weather. Happy weekend to all!
1 comment:
I am so sorry you are having problems with both hospitals. Being as young as I was I was so clueless about what was going on and I don't think I was much of an advocate for Anna as you are for Jaisal. I just sat and sat and sat by the phone ( at Children's by Anna's bedside ) waiting for my results from Northwestern. Praying for you guys.~Sarah
Post a Comment