Monday, December 12, 2011

Update

We finally got another update from the surgical team. Jaisal's old liver is officially out. It took longer than expected. I was told they had to rearrange a few things in there. I didn't care to ask for more details. They are now working to put the new - actually gently used :) - liver in to Jaisal. No idea how much longer they expect surgery to continue.

We also still don't know if Jaisal's portal vein is patent or if they'll need to use a vein graft. In case, I didn't explain this previously, as Jaisal's liver has become more scarred, blood hasn't been able to flow through his liver as effectively. The main vein going into the liver (or maybe it's out of, my liver anatomy skills are still being refined) gets backed up and can become clotted off. When Jaisal had his last CT, the surgeons couldn't tell whether his vein was patent or not. If it is not patent the doctors will need to use a vein graft from another source (not Scott since he needs his veins) or take Jaisal's jugular vein. Right before Jaisal's surgery, the team was able to acquire some "fresh" veins, so we're hoping that if Jaisal's own vein has clotted off, these donor veins will do the trick.

As for Scott, his rock star status continues. Kirk was allowed to go into the recovery room with Chris to see Scott. Our barometer for when Jaisal is feeling okay during a hospital stay is when he smiles, so of course, I asked Kirk if Scott smiled. Indeed he did. I take that as a good sign.

I had intended to spend part of my day having a beer with lunch at Barleycorn's which is right next to the hospital. I decided against that option, thinking that it's probably best that the last time I went to Barleycorn's was when I was 24 or so. Instead I decided to go donate blood. I saw a sign for a blood drive that said something along the lines of donate blood, save a life. Considering what Scott was doing just a few miles away to save our son's life, donating some blood seemed to be a small pittance in righting the cosmic debt that Kirk and I owe.

I'm happy to note that for the first time ever, I did not pass out after donating blood. That might be due to the fact that I am &dng%* pounds heavier than the last time I donated or that I had a massive brunch of huevos rancheros after Jaisal went into surgery, but I was pretty thrilled to not have lost consciousness.

I'm hoping our next update comes sooner than the last, and as soon as I know something, you'll know something. Thanks for all your comments, calls, emails, texts, etc. They're very much appreciated.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Krupa,
Way to go on the blood donation! I'm a bit of an almost-passer-outer type, you know, the one they have to tip the chair back for and put cool wash clothes on me. Yup. Its not pretty. Yay for Scott's smile! You guys have received an amazing gift! Still praying for smooth-sailing the rest of Jaisal's transplant and an even smoother recovery. We'll be at NMH on Thursday. Maybe we'll have to meet-up somehow/where.

Samantha said...

Thank you for the very detailed update, and congrats on the blood donation. Very good to hear that my brother :)

tangie said...

loving the updates :)... thank you! yay for Scott the Rock Star's smile and yay for the old liver being out and the new one going in!! and way to go on giving blood!

Bonnie said...

Doug and I are so happy things are progressing well for all of you and we pass on much love and concern for Jaisal and Scott. Power hugs to you Krupa and Kirk!

Samantha said...

I cannot wait to see a picture of everyone smiling after this is all done with!! Much Love, Prayer and Good Karma headed your way...Auntie Sammie :)