Friday, December 16, 2011

Vent Update

This evening we made the decision to remove the paralytic from Jaisal's medication regime. It's been about 3 hours now and he is tolerating the change well. If he makes it through the night without incident, tomorrow we'll start reducing his sedation in an effort to get him off of the vent altogether. The goal is to have him off the vent on Sunday and then move up to the floor on Monday. Fingers are crossed that little man is on board with this plan. He received a special request for cooperation from his uncle Scott. I'm hoping Jaisal will listen to him, since mine and Kirk's pleas have clearly gone unheeded.

The nurses and respiratory therapists also are on board to help us achieve this goal. Despite being sedated, Jaisal has flirted his way into their hearts with his crazy hair and ridiculously long eyelashes. And I being a proud mama, promptly egg along their fawning over my son by showing them adorable photos of him that are always at the ready on my phone. I keep telling them that Jaisal's even cuter when he's awake, so we need to get him off this vent. I think they're buying my story and are all about getting him breathing on his own.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Fingers and toes crossed...:)